ITGS@SMIS

Friday, September 15, 2006

My Mickey Mouse Rant

Did I tell you my Mickey mouse rants? What did I say?

The copyright law is supposed to last originally 25 years but then Mickey Mouse turned 25 and he was invented in 1928 and Disney thought they could get it changed. And they said can you make it 50? In 1978 before Mickey turned 50 and they changed it to 75 and now 2 years ago he turned 75. That's the Disney side of it.

The public domain side is "don'’t you think after 75 years of living with Mickey, hasn'’t he joined the culture of the country? Isn't he a cultural icon now? It'’s public,– isn't an idea like Mickey is a mouse or does Disney get to keep it forever? If you go to Tom Sawyer, I don't think anybody owns Tom Sawyer. He was a great friend. Nobody'’s making money off Tom Sawyer anymore.

So let's talk about ownership. If I invtent something,– some idea or a drawing and it sells well and I make lots of money, when I die should the ownership go away? Should it drift into public? Should I be able to give the rights to my children, my grandchildren? It never enters public domain.

Public domain is the place where people share.

[Tomer asks a stupid question " Why would you want to share?"]

The advantages and disadvantages– of not letting it into public.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home